Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Big Ben

As you know from the news, Pope Benedict is in the United Sates for a visit. When I was in Rome in 1998, I was introduced to then-Cardinal Ratiznger in St. Peter's Square as he was on his way to work at the Office of the Doctrine of Faith.

Fr. Reginald Foster, a Carmelite from the Washington Province who works for the Vatican Secretary of State, was giving us a tour and pointed to an arch. He said, "It is 8:50. In ten minutes, Cardinal Ratzinger will walk through that arch and across the square on his way to work." Reginald continued explaining things, and, sure enough, at nine o'clock, the cardinal came through the arch and strode across the square. Reginald greeted him and explained who we were. We all said hello and he waved as he continued on his way.

If you look carefully at the photo, you will see that he is wearing red shoes. Of course, the pope's clothing is traditional, but these shoes are apparently made by Prada, which has earned His Holiness the irreverent nickname of "the Prada Pope."

2 comments:

The Hermit said...

Didn't he once say that he never met a gay person? Obviously the boys at Prada might disagree.

Kristin said...

Hey I updated for once. (: I met Vince's family (well, a sister) and I guess they've been reading me for quite some time. They were bummed to see me go so I'm going to attempt to post more.

Love you,
Kristin