Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wednesday waiting

Between the house and Birchwood Road there is a spot that is a favorite for deer crossing. Lately I have been seeing deer on the road and so I pay attention. This morning no deer were there, but apparently the wild turkeys have decided to use the same path. Two trotted across in front of me on my way to Baraboo to cover the law office for the morning while Joe was in court.

There is also road construction going on between the Dells and Baraboo on Highway 12, and today I got caught in it. I left home with more than enough to time to avoid the wildlife in the road and even to stop for a cup of coffee and to read a paper in Baraboo before hitting the office. Instead of getting to do that, I spent twenty-five minutes at a dead stop in a long line of traffic about halfway there with no possibility of turning around or getting off the road. I never did find out what happened, but I think there may have been an accident at the place where the construction is heaviest. Traffic was not flowing at all on our side and only the occasional car went by the other way, so it was not a flagger directing traffic, although there is a short strip that is now a single lane. I was getting ready to call Joe and tell him I would be late -- hurrah for cell phones! -- when the jam broke up. Now I know not to take that route in on Friday.

That earth mover is one of the characters from Thomas the Train and Friends, and his name -- ta dah! -- is Byron. The gift store at the Riverside & Great Northern is heavily into Thomas stuff and earlier in the week my volunteer hours were spent counting way more Thomas characters than I ever knew existed. They also have railroad-themed jewelry. Anyone looking for dangling earrings that look like a railroad crossing sign?

No?

No comments: