Thursday, April 24, 2008

Lalalala, life goes on!

I put a dollar bill in one of those change machines, and nothing happened.
-- George Carlin

Late this afternoon Vinko emailed me 70 pages of his dissertation -- with a promise to send 10 more pages soon. He wants it corrected and back to him so that he can turn it in to his adviser before he leaves Rome on May 7. Yep, that's two weeks from yesterday.

I, of course, am working at the law office tomorrow morning and then at the library in the afternoon. Saturday and Sunday I will be at the railway all day. So I won't get to give any sustained time to the dissertation project until Monday. I think, though, if I can keep my calendar clear for the rest of next week, I can probably get most of it back to him by May 1. At least I am going to try.

To put it in perspective, the editing I have done for him in the past has usually meant about ten corrections per page. So this may be about 800 corrections or suggested changes. I do the corrections on a hard copy and then enter the corrections on a Word document to email back to him. Then he has to accept and use the corrections and suggestions he wants. So the two weeks we have involves significant work on both our parts.

Aiiiieeee!

Actually, it reminds me a lot of working for the law office ...
---------------
That holy card image is of St. Expeditus, a purely legendary Roman martyr who is supposed to be the patron saint of procrastinators. He is standing with his foot on a crow that is saying "Cras" -- Latin for "tomorrow". His feastday was April 19 -- so we are just a bit late to make the connection perfect.

No comments: