Monday, November 10, 2008

Closed Circuit

I don't know if you saw the news that Circuit City has filed for bankruptcy. You may recall my rants a year or so back about the bad experience I had with them when I purchased my laptop. I must say that the individuals I dealt with at the time, both on the telephone and face to face, were friendly and helpful. Well, they tried to be helpful. The way the place operated did not always make it possible for them to do much for me. I swore I would never go into one again, but I discovered that they had an exclusive contract with Lexmark to provide the ink cartridges for my printer -- so I have no choice. (Actually I order my cartridges from them online and have them shipped. So technically I am not stepping into their stores.) This is the printer that arrived broken, and then I had to go to two different stores on the opposite sides of Madison to pick up a good one.

This does not make for a happy, repeat customer.

News reports mentioned a number of factors in the collapse of Circuit City, and my name was never mentioned. I suspect, however, that my experience was not unique. People who had similar problems just decided to take their business elsewhere.

They hope to come out of bankruptcy next year. I wish them well. I hate to see any more people losing their jobs right now. As I mentioned above, the folks who work there seem fine. It is a shame that they will suffer the most because of poor policies and decisions made by management.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Circuit City is a joke. I believe they are the ones who sold and installed an amp for Justin's car stereo years ago without telling him that the amp would blow up his speakers. So as soon as he turned it on, the speaker system exploded. They could have cared less. They were trying to force him to buy new speakers. so down with Circuit Crappy.