Friday, November 7, 2008

There's no business like snow business

I don't know if we got any snow last night, but today we went into Madison to do some looking around and a bit of shopping. I drove down through drizzle and rain.

After going to World Bazaar and Savers, Tom wanted to go to Best Buy to scope out the HDTvs, but we decided to have lunch first. We went to a little Japanese place at the food court in the mall -- very filling chicken teriyaki and for the right price. While we were there, I looked out the glass wall and saw that the rain had turned to a steady snow. That kept up until we headed back to the Dells, stopping about the time we got out of the immediate Madison area.

We had planned to have dinner with Jim and Debbie Kinder and her mother tonight, but Tom finally succumbed to the cold that has been hiding under his tiredness the last few days. We made it home, called and cancelled.

I am supposed to be at the railway tomorrow, and I will go over to finish putting price labels on some things and putting then out on the shelves. Looks like the morning will be mostly showers mixed with snow and the temperatures won't get out of the thirties. In that case I will probably only stay until after Roberta has her lunch and then come home. Sunday I will go back, but I don't think there will be much happening either day with the weather like it is.

Next week is major library stuff. The library will be closed for inventory, and I have signed up for four hours of work on Monday and again on Thursday. Thursday is also the day of the Library Volunteer Luncheon, which will take place at the restaurant at Spring Brook Golf Resort, right at the end of our road. I thought about skipping the lunch, but I got talked into it. I usually work alone when I am at the library, so I know all the librarians but only one of the other volunteers, Marty Preston. Fortunately she told me she was going to be there, too, so I will have at least one familiar face around.

I am not the only dude who volunteers at the library, but I would say the guys are outnumbered about ten to one. Only one of the librarians, Jesse, is male, and he seems to be the library computer geek as much as anything. I'm pretty sure he feels isolated, because he always tries to drum up a conversation when I am around. Some high school guys also help out from time to time, but that is short term. I have the impression it is a form of community service, although I don't know if it is imposed or just part of one of the programs at school.

No comments: