Thursday, November 27, 2008

The Gobbler


Our friend Karl (down in Katy) reminded me today that when he visited a couple of years ago, I pointed out a Wisconsin landmark of sorts -- The Gobbler, a restaurant/motel of amazing appearance between Milwaukee and Madison. I never had reason to stay there, but I ate there a few times. No, it was not all turkeys on the menu, but it had a rotating circular bar in the middle of the room -- with purple shag carpet on the walls. And the carpet in the lobby had a repeating design of turkeys on a purple ground. I won't even talk about the wallpaper in the restroom...

The Gobbler went out of business some time ago, but it is memorialized on this web page. Please visit it this Thanksgiving season to enjoy a piece of Wisconsin history. There are lots of pictures to prove I am not making this up.

And a special Thanksgiving Day thanks to Karl for the treat!

No comments: