Sunday, November 9, 2008

Later, 'gator!

Roberta and Bernie ate at Marley's recently, a restaurant/bar/night club in the Dells with a Caribbean theme. She liked it, and so I suggested to Tom that we give it a try. Today was very cold and damp with some snow flurries. Tom had worked outside over at the railway most of the day. (My job is nice and toasty inside in the winter and air conditioned in the summer.) A Caribbean theme seemed just about what we needed.

The menu was not all that extensive and it came printed on both sides of a large laminated piece of cardboard shaped like a fish. To be honest, this did not impress me favorably. In fact, at first I thought it was just a too-cute placemat.
This is the kind of place that has butcher paper masking taped to the top of the table and small buckets of crayons for the kids to play with. But then, so does our favorite pizza place.
I think they had more kinds of rum than food. They had a few Mexican items -- basically enchiladas, burritos and fajitas -- but we decided to play it safe. Tom had a jerk pork sandwich, and I took a risk with their gator sandwich. Yep, real alligator, or so the waitress assured me.

And actually it was pretty good. A little chewy, but tasting a lot like -- wait for it! -- fried scallops. Ha! Not chicken.

When the waitress asked if I liked it, I told her I did and it would give me something to blog about.

"It doesn't take much," I told her, and Tom snorted his agreement.

And that's the whole story.

No comments: