Sunday, November 2, 2008

Scare tactics

Today is All Souls Day, when Catholics pray for all the deceased. You may have heard it called the Day of the Dead.

Soooo ...

Buddy the Dog scared me this morning.

I woke up about 5:00 a.m. (DST) and got up to go to the bathroom. When I got out of bed, I stepped on Buddy's tail. When he is here, he often sleeps in my room, curled up right by the bed, but not always in the same spot. I wasn't surprised that he was there.

I as surprised that he did not react.

I went to the bathroom and came back.

"Buddy," I called.

Nothing.

'Buddy!" a bit louder.

Nothing.

I turned on a light and went over. I rubbed his head. I poked his ribs. Nothing.

Uh-oh!

Buddy has been slowing down a lot, and yesterday afternoon and evening, he seemed very restless, wandering around the house, wanting out, wanting in -- almost like a cat.

I turned on the overhead light and called Tom.

"Dog,"I said simply.

From his office Tom called back, "Is he dead?"

I turned around and Buddy's eyes were open and he was looking at me, wagging his tail slightly.

Don't DO that, dude!

Helen and Jay are picking him up this afternoon and heading back to Minnesota. At least he's still breathing.

No comments: