Thursday, November 13, 2008

So the drama!

Okay, if you have not read Kristin's blog about her crazy experience with the bank and her HSA, you must do so. It would be funny were it not so ... so something else.

Today we had the Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon for the library. It was at the Northwoods Grill in Spring Book Resort just down the road, which was very convenient. Afterward I went to the library for another three hours of work on the inventory.

The other day when I was there, one of the librarians suggested I let Cathy (the big boss) know that I am interested in working there. Kris says they will probably be hiring after the first of the year. So I talked briefly to Cathy this afternoon and gave her a copy of my resume. It would be great to work at the library. In fact, one reason I have been volunteering there is to become familiar with how things are done and to get to know people and to be known, just in case a job does open up. So say a prayer for that one.

Meanwhile Tom put in a lot of work on our proposal for the railway museum. He is great at visualizing things, and by yesterday afternoon he had put together a great proposal complete with drawings. There is a board meeting this Saturday, but I don't think he will be submitting anything this soon. There is not really enough time for them to look at it and discuss it. But maybe it can be on the agenda for the next meeting. He would like to have this up and running by the time the railway re-opens to the public next April. He plans to build the kiosks himself. I am sure he can do it. The design is simple, and he built most of the furniture in the house: the beds, the desks, the bookcases, the buffet and the entertainment center.

Yesterday Joe Screnock called to ask me to come over and spend some time helping their new assistant learn how to merge documents on their computer. This is the way they generate about 80% of their documents, closer to 95% of the pleadings that go into the court record. It is a dated system, not one that many people would have been trained to use, even if they are quite computer literate. Joe and Evelyn will be out of town, so tomorrow morning will be a good time for me to teach Shannon how to do it, without us being constantly interrupted. I just hope I can remember it myself!

No comments: