Tuesday, November 18, 2008

In the news


This is from the November 15 Wisconsin Dells Events, our local newspaper. The picture is not online, and this is the best scan I could get on my little machine. The picture was taken last Thursday while I was working on the inventory after the Library Volunteer Luncheon.
The text says, " Delton resident Michael Dodd scans magazines into the Kilbourn Pulbic Library's computerized circulation system Thursday. Last year the library relied on 52 volunteers like Dodd to run book sales and assist the library staff account for all of its items during inventory in November. Volunteers contributed more than 2,000 hours of unpaid work to the library in 2007. In addition, the Friends of the Library hosted author talks and purchased Playaways, digital audio books, for the library. The library was clsoed for inventory this week but reopens Monday ..."
The city of Wisconsin Dells was originally named Kilbourn City, for Byron Kilbourn, the wheeler dealer who created the town by getting the railroad routed through here in 1857, thereby turning nearby Newport into a ghost town. Kilbourn had hoped that his new city would become an industrial center, but that never developed. Instead the natural beauty of the dells of the Wisconsin River attracted tourists, and in 1931, the town changed its name to Wisconsin Dells to capitalize on its most famous and profitable resource. A few things like the library and the fire department still carry the Kilbourn name.

Anyway, this proves that I actually do volunteer at the library. As proof that I also volunteer (and sometimes work -- same thing, but with a paycheck!) at the railway, here is a picture of Roberta, with me in the background, at the Museum Store. And, no, I am not picking my nose. (I hope!)

Tom was in the Baraboo paper a couple of weeks ago as part of an article on local campaign workers. That's him on the left, wearing the pink cap. You can't see the American flag on the front of it.

Now if we can jut get Cassidy and Sundance on the cover of Cat Fancy magazine, we will all have had our fifteen minutes of fame.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

OMG look at you! So diva! I love it. You are adorable! I get my good look from you. (: