Monday, March 16, 2015

Going swimming

A dozen years back, I was seeing a counselor. I was still in the monastery at the time, but I was dealing with some difficult life issues and found her very helpful.

I remember once she asked me, after I had been rambling on about what my family wanted and what the Carmelites wanted and what my  friends wanted and so on, “And what does Michael want?”  

I was stumped. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I had no idea what I wanted. What I wanted was to know what you wanted, and then I would want that. So you would like me. 

I guess I wanted you to like me. 

One day when I was with a group of very close friends, I  mentioned that I felt like Bruce Banner, the guy who turns into the Hulk when he get angry. 

“Don’t get me angry,” he/I said. “You wouldn’t like me when I’m angry.” 

My best friend asked, “And what would happen if we didn’t like you?” 

“The world would end,” I said quickly, half-joking and more than half-fearful.

 As I pondered the questions, what did I want and what would happen if people didn’t like me, I began to realize that it had been a long time since I let myself think about what I wanted, instead of what was right or what should be done or what was important or what other people wanted or needed. I could not answer a very simple question: What do I want? 

Ask me what I want to eat and I can be thrown into a quandary. My usual answer: “What do you want?"

Ask Tom and he will tell you that I am far from over this. He asks, “Where do you want to go to eat?” and even though I want to go for Indian, I will always say, “I don’t care.” 

When we were building the house, he would ask what color I wanted for walls or what furniture I wanted or what to do about the garden.

"I don’t care.”

At a certain level, this was true and is still true. It is his house, after all. And I don’t care about a lot of things. (I did pick the wall color for my bedroom.) Having spent most of my adult life in a monastery where the walls were already painted, where the furniture was already in the room, where the schedule had been in place for centuries, I had learned to go with the flow. But I was going with the flow to such an extent that I had forgotten how to swim. 

And sometimes, you know, you have to swim.


That's JFK diving into the water, by the way.

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

lovely prose.

Anonymous said...

I don't swim... I barely tread water. I also don't like the ocean- I suppose I saw JAWS way too many times.

My papa used to say it was Sink Or Swim Time....
Eventually, we do all have to swim. Some do it well, others not so well, but rarely do you ever see anyone actually sink.

Sunny :)