Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Moving along

Tom and I met with a representative from the insurance company this morning to arrange for my Medicare supplement plan. Tom was already using this company, as are a number of people we know, and I wanted to get basically the same coverage. The only question I had related to the prescription program (Medicare D) because our beloved [trying to be nice here] governor is trying to cut the Senior Care that Tom has been using, as advised by the insurance provider at the time he signed up. I signed up for basically the same plan he has and will do a bit more research before deciding what to do about the prescription thing. 

Sounds to me like the prescription coverage is a racket for the insurance companies, whereby you pay a great deal of money for very little benefit as a hedge against the day when you may need it because of the absurd cost of cancer drugs. BUT, and here's the fun part, the prescription plans can and do change every year, change both what they cover and what they charge. So by signing up now for a plan I won't use for ten years, I have no promise that when I do need it, the plan I have been paying into for a decade will in fact help me.On the other hand, if I don't sign up for a prescription plan of some sort by August, I will never be able to sign up for one again without passing a medical review -- which means, of course, if you need it, you can't get it. Sweet.

I didn't tell the insurance rep, but my plan is this: when I get a fatal illness, I plan  to die.

But at least the major part of the Medicare and supplement thing is done! Well, mostly done. Cards have to arrive, and I have to call my current provider and remind them that I will be leaving them as of May 1 when Medicare kicks in. The new company gives a 5% discount when two or more members of the same household -- very broadly defined -- insure with them. So Tom and I both save a bit, which is always nice.

My cold/congestion/allergy/whatever seems to be working its way out of my system, I am happy to say. I have been low energy all week, partly because of the congestion and partly because I have not slept well. Last night, for the first time in days, I slept through the night. Always a good sign! I am still hacking a bit, but it sounds like things are breaking up.

I like the old Simon and Garfunkel songs, although "59th Street Bridge Song" was never a favorite. It seemed a bit too fluffy, if you know what I mean. Plus,the whole groovy thing makes it sound so dated. Nonetheless, I find it running through my mind today. Maybe a sign of spring?  It can't be a sign that I've been moving too fast, not the last few days anyway:
Slow down, you move too fast.
You got to make the morning last.
Just kicking down the cobble stones,
Looking for fun and feelin' groovy,
Feelin' groovy.
Hello lamppost what you knowing?
I've come to watch your flowers growing.
Ain't you got no rhymes for me?
Doot-in' do-do feelin' groovy,
Feelin' groovy.
Got no deeds to do, no promises to keep.
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep.
Let the morning time drop all its petals on me.
Life, I love you; all is groovy.
 




1 comment:

Kirstin Dodd said...

I'm glad you're getting better ♡