Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Irish soda bread

When I was in the monastery in Boston (first in Brookline and later in Brighton), St. Patrick's Day always meant corned beef and cabbage for dinner -- not my favorite meal -- and Irish soda bread -- not my favorite bread. The corned beef and cabbage were usually the responsibility of whoever was cooking that day, and the most Irish of the friars always complained loudly that, although he had grown up in  a Boston Irish household, they never ate such a meal in his home. The soda bread, on the other hand, tended to arrive as a gift from nuns or some elderly Irish friend of the community. Even when amply supplied with raisins, it always tasted dry and dense to me.

The other day, however, I noticed some Irish soda bread out at the bakery and was tempted to get a small round loaf. It was filled with raisins or currants and was passably okay when generously slathered with good Wisconsin butter. Not something I would want often, but it seemed a seasonal food, if not exactly a seasonal treat.

For those who want to make their own, herewith is a recipe. I cannot vouch for it because I barely like the stuff enough to purchase a loaf. I certainly don't have the enthusiasm to bake it. But, like most breads, it is probably quite lovely when warm.

Irish soda bread recipe from Taste of Home:

Ingredients

  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 tablespoons caraway seeds
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
  • 3/4 cup raisins

Directions

  • 1. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, caraway seeds, baking powder, salt and baking soda. In a small bowl, whisk eggs and sour cream. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fold in raisins.
  • 2. Spoon into a greased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 40-45 or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before removing sides of pan. Cut into wedges; serve warm. Yield: 1 loaf (12 wedges).
I note that many recipes call for buttermilk whereas this one calls for sour cream. There are many recipes online, if you want to look.

And whatever else, may the luck of the Irish be yours today!

2 comments:

Ur-spo said...

My colleage from Dublin told me in Ireland the proper food is lamb and potatoes rather.

Sunny said...

Owwww- I'm gonna try that recipe for sure. I look at the recipe and see one thing in this bread that I use in my cakes that makes them so moist- Sour Cream. That might make a HUGE difference in the taste too.

I'll let you know how it goes- will write a review and take photos as well and post it on my blog.

:)