Friday, July 3, 2015

Friday foray

My laptop has been giving signs of aging, shutting itself down a few times recently when it was overheating. Yesterday I cleaned the fan and vents but decided the time has come to look around for a new computer. Tom, being the orderly sort of person he is, did some research to supplement my own; and this morning after my visit to the gym, we headed to Madison to check things out. It was a helpful trip, made easier by the fact that I had already made up my mind not to purchase anything right now.  

The young man at Best Buy was clearly determined to get me to change my mind on that last point, but he could not dissuade me from my decision. He did, however, ask some excellent questions to help me sort out exactly what I want. As a result, I am casting my nets further afield.  Part of this is long-term planning for the not-too-distant days when I will not need a portable computer, won't be traveling as much, won't be carrying a computer from a downstairs office to upstairs table and back. This realization opens up some interesting new possibilities for computers, at the same time that it makes me (and Tom) look at the realities of what our own aging means for our living situation.

On the way back, we stopped for lunch in Prairie du Sac and ate at the Blue Spoon, one of our favorite places. It is an upscale cafe with a variety of interesting sandwiches, salads and such things. Tom had a couple of slices of pizza and I had a small spinach salad. I usually have one of their quesadillas, but decided to try something different and green -- green in a good way, that is. We ate outside on the veranda overlooking the Wisconsin River, and the weather was perfect to do so. 

We passed through Baraboo and picked up a couple of small watermelons and some brownies to take to the July 4th cookout tomorrow afternoon. Once we were back home, Tom went out with Rich to cut up firewood for the fires, I gave the cats their long-delayed snack and took a bit of a lie-down.

For those of my readers who will be celebrating the Fourth this weekend, may it be safe and lots of fun. For those who will not be celebrating the Fourth, may your weekend also be safe and lots of fun. No reason to let the Yanks have it all!

1 comment:

Lavada said...

Oh no worries there, Michael!! Im celebrating with BBQ Chicken Thighs, Potato Salad, Roast Corn on the Cob and either Cheesecake or A cinnamon Bun. I wanted to do apple pie and vaniulla ice cream, but as hubby and I both are still dieting and he refuses to eat apple pie and ice cream and he says if an apple pie is in the house he WILL eat the whole thing because he loves apple pie so much, I had to choose from simple two serving desserts and this is what I had to choose from. We both took Friday AND Monday off to have a long holiday weekend, and I intend to let go and enjoy mine- althio not too much letting go.
I hope you and yours have a saafe and happy holiday too.
Much love from across the pond to You, Tom, Cassidy and Sundance

Sunny & Paul