Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Another Wednesday in Wisconsin

John left for Chicago this morning on the eleven o'clock bus. He left with shined shoes, a fresh haircut and proper clothes for some job interviews he has coming up. He's a smart and funny young man, but I think he found life here at The Lodge a bit boring. Of course, he doesn't drive, which meant he had his 60-year-old father and me for companions most of the time. Not a thrill a minute for a 22-year-old guy.

The road people were making preparations to do some serious repairs when I got home this afternoon, and I expect the next few days will include detours and tar splashes on the car.

I finally gave up on the Jonathan Kellerman mystery I've been reading for the book club. I have probably read enough to discuss it, but it got rather absurd in the middle and needlessly convoluted. I'm a big fan of Agatha Christie, but even her books are tedious when she starts dragging in international conspiracies.

I also turned in The Heretic Pharaoh, a biography of Akhnaten, often called the world's first monotheist. [That's him in the picture.] The book was fairly interesting but I found some of the speculation about a possible connection of Akhnaten and Moses more than a little specious. I checked out Northrop Frye on Shakespeare to serve as my "serious reading" for a few days.

No comments: