Sunday, September 9, 2007

To everything there is a season

One sign that the seasons are changing -- besides the fact that we are supposed to have a low of 43 degrees later in the week and tomorrow's high is supposed to be 62 -- is that the bird feeder is suddenly active with birds we haven't seen for a while. This morning I saw a tufted titmouse, then another, then yet another. Even the goldfinches on the thistle socks are getting pretty aggressive with one another, and the hummingbirds are hovering around flowers that look pretty far gone to me.

This afternoon we went down to Madison so Tom could take John shopping for clothes. He got a couple of jackets, some shirts and a gray suit. He wasn't sure about the suit, but the price was right, it fits and it is 100% wool. Couldn't hurt, right?

He and Tom also picked up some books, and at Half Price Books I got some CDs on John of the Cross by Susan Muto -- marked down 80%. I will listen to them on the way to and from work for the next week or two. I have read a lot of her stuff and may not learn anything particularly new, but since I teach a couple of courses on John of the Cross, I need to keep up with the resources out there.

And that was the excitement of the day. Looks like leftovers tonight for supper.

No comments: