Friday, September 28, 2007

Cat and bird

Last night Sundance woke me with a hiss and some scratching of my arms. I don't know if she had had a nightmare or if I had rolled in the wrong direction or moved my arm and disturbed her. Anyway, she drew some blood and I am just grateful she wasn't sleeping curled up my my face as she does a lot lately.

When I came home from work this afternoon and took off my long-sleeved shirt, I saw the scratches and went to get some antibiotic out of Tom's bathroom. On the way there, I noticed a shadow moving under the blind in the guest room. Turns out it was a sparrow -- how it got in is a mystery. Probably a cat brought it in, but it wasn't very ruffled. Tom does have a habit of leaving the door onto the deck open a bit for the sake of the cats, and the bird may have flown in on its own.

I scooped the bird up with a faux Tupperware container that once held take-home Chinese food and released it. Tom had been hearing chirping back there all day apparently, but he thought it was one of the smoke alarms signaling that a battery was low. Whenever he went to investigate, the bird shut up and so he couldn't figure out what the problem was.

And that's the critter du jour story.

No comments: