Thursday, December 6, 2007

I know, I know ...


... if it's not critters, it's the weather. What can I say? Life in Wisconsin is soooo exciting.

I live at the tiny red dot on the map below the e in LaCrosse.

So instead of the three to five inches of snow, Tom says we got about seven inches Tuesday night. He should know -- he's the one who does the shoveling and snow blowering. Joe and Evelyn were two hours late getting into the office because of having to dig themselves (and the farm) out and then driving on treacherous icy roads to get to Baraboo. I wasn't able to park in our parking lot because, although the guy who shovels it had done a great job clearing our spaces, the snow plow came along and piled up a barrier of snow two feet high that the Vibe could not climb over. Fortunately there is free on-street parking a block away.

When I woke up this morning, instead of it being the predicted zero degrees, it was nine -- BELOW! Of course, it warmed up to a toasty 19 by lunch time.

And it is snowing again tonight. This time they predict only an inch or two -- so who knows? We have two major pleadings (fancy legalese term for a document that has to be filed with the courts) due tomorrow (both of them are past due, to be honest), so we had better not be snowed out of the office again. Every day this week I have gone into work prepared to work late to finish these two papers up, but I can't type what the boss hasn't written. So once again, here we are at the last minute, a thing that does not seem to cause my boss any loss of sleep but that drives me nuts. I do hope it is over tomorrow, even though it is probably going to be a hectic day.
I shouldn't complain -- I am picking up some extra hours, which is nice this time of year, and eight hours of word processing is eight hours of word processing, whether the paper is due that day or a month later. If you think that will stop me from complaining, however...

2 comments:

Tom Scharbach said...

Well, as they say, gratitude always comes ... right before the whining.

Kristin said...

I am jealous.

Its only 30 here. I want cold weather the entire family "warned" me about. But so far? I mean, don't get me wrong...its cold. But not eskimo weather.