Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thursday's child has far to go.

Well, it's all happening with the Brooklyn Branch, isn't it? If you haven't been keeping up, be sure to check out both blogs over in the Places to Go and People to See column.

Today Tom claims to have seen 25-30 turkeys over in Jerry's field. Shortly after I came home, there were 17 in our backyard at once. Tom took this picture from the kitchen window. (That's my statue of John of the Cross in the corner, there.) There are five or six around the bird feeder, partially hidden by the bushy branches in the foreground.

The other day I was watching about ten of them stalk across the road, and I was thinking, "They really do walk like little dinosaurs."

Then I realized that the reason I think that is that the movies make dinosaurs walk like birds -- not the other way around. Just shows how our perceptions of reality can be messed with by imagination and fantasy.

But I'm not going to talk politics, I promise!

Meanwhile, Tom's train set is looking good downstairs. He has the Dells and has put up a couple of mountains/hills in corners so the train gets to go in and out of tunnels. Tomorrow Helen and Jay will be dropping Buddy off on their way to visit a friend in Milwaukee, so they will get to see what all the hoo-hah is about. I will be at work, so I probably won't get to visit with them until they come back through on Sunday. It should be fairly decent traveling weather for them, fortunately.

3 comments:

shera10 said...

Your statue of John of the Cross reminds me my father.When my siblings and I was teen all the times we complained about a friend, a teacher, a misunderstanding my father quoted us St John of the Cross:"Se non c'รจ amore mettici l'amore e troverai l'amore" thas is make the first step. I don't know if really was a St John's quote, but his advice often worked pretty well.
Ciao
Cristina
my father was a former seminarist

Michael Dodd said...

That quote is from a letter John of the Cross wrote to one of the nuns in Segovia in 1591 at a time he was being persecuted by his own superiors. She had written expressing her sympathy (and no doubt blaming those who were after him), and he wrote back, "Think nothing else but that God ordains all, and where there is no love, put love, and you will draw out love"

Today, December 14, is the feast of John of the Cross, who died on this day in 1591, about six months after he wrote that letter.

shera10 said...

Thanks for reminding me that today is the feast of St John of the Cross and thanks for the explanation.What a coincidence that today I reminded that quote.
Cristina