Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tuna surprise

Last night Joe and Evelyn invited Tom and me over for dinner. There was sushi to start with, then a sort of noodle salad from a recipe Evelyn got from a Japanese former in-law, egg rolls followed by wonton soup and then pork stir fry. Good meal!

Tom likes to cook Chinese, too, and he and Evelyn got to chatting about food. He mentioned a low-fat cookbook that he bought a few months ago that has a lot of things we like in it. But he told her about one that did not turn out as expected.

Helen was visiting, and Tom decided to make a tuna casserole -- basic comfort food but from a recipe in this book. The recipe called for evaporated milk. To Tom this meant "canned milk", and he bought a can of milk. Unfortunately, it was not evaporated milk but sweetened condensed milk. If you don't know what that means, imagine tuna fish mixed with vanilla ice cream.

Trust me, you don't want to know any more.

He is normally a great cook, so I don't want to scare any guests away. Just stay away from the tuna casserole, and you'll be fine.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I think its amazing that Tom & his exwife are so BFF. That's awesome. If I saw my ex? I'd be calling the police.

Michael Dodd said...

Working as I do for a lawyer whose practice is mainly divorce, I can assure you that Tom and Helen's relationship is pretty rare and it took work and maturity on both sides for it to happen the way it has.