Monday, December 3, 2007

The Twelve Deer of Christmas

On the way home from the library this evening, I saw a herd of twelve deer. They stopped and stared at me long enough for me to get a good head count.

My cold is much better, although I am not back up to full speed yet. I hope to be as well as I ever am in a couple of days.

Evelyn's birthday was Saturday, but it turned out not to be such a good day. She and Joe went into Madison for a workshop. They expected to be back on the way home before the storm struck, but it got there an hour and a half earlier than expected. So the trip home took two and a half hours of white-knuckle driving, instead of the easy drive of under an hour that it usually is. So they got home exhausted, only to discover that they had a lot of snow to shovel and that the sheep had broken into the barn, overturned all sorts of things and gotten into the corn and hay stored there. Then they found out that the heater that keeps the sheep's water supply from freezing had broken and the tank was a block of ice. Joe struggled with that without any success, and they both went to bed tired. Sunday was not much better as they tried to get caught up on some of those things. This evening I think she had a family celebration planned, so I hope that makes up for the mess over the weekend.

Tom took the snow blower over to have it repaired this afternoon. From what he says, I think it is about like I will be after I get over this cold: about as well as it's ever going to be. Not quite what it was in its prime, but it'll have to do.

No comments: