Saturday, December 8, 2007

Weekend Report II

Wal-Mart was a bit of a zoo, of course. After getting all the stuff to make candy, I told Tom it would be less expensive to buy people a box of candy and give that to them. I know, it wouldn't be the same.

After doing the first batch of rocky road fudge and a batch of candy that uses vanilla bark and mini-kisses (pretty, tasty and sooo easy), I was cleaning up and saw an unfamiliar bird on the feeder. Because it was brown and clearly a woodpecker, I assumed it was a female of one of the species that we have already seen, but it was huge. So I looked in our book, and it is one we had not seen before: the Northern Flicker. The only brown-back woodpecker in the state, it is not supposed to be around in the winter, so I assume it is migrating south and stopped off for some suet. Anyway, it is good to add another one to the list.

Then I made some more candy: Peppermint Bark (with a layer of white chocolate, layer of smashed peppermint candies mixed with crushed pretzels (I know, weird) and then a top layer of milk chocolate; another Peppermint Candy using vanilla bark, peppermint extract and peppermint candies (all this peppermint is for Peggy); and then just some plain fudge.

Tom, meanwhile, was ironing my shirts and watching a movie on the tube. He didn't see the beginning or the end, but it was something to do while ironing.

More anon.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I suck @ making candy. I can make fudge...but its by cheating. Its so much better though than the store bought.

Michael Dodd said...

When you come visit, I will show you a couple of very easy candy recipes. I am not good at baking -- cookies, brownies, cakes, bread, whatever. It all escapes me.