Monday, September 8, 2008

Cats

Muezza (or Mu'izza) (معزة) is said to have been Muhammad's favorite cat. The most famous story about Muezza recounts how the call to prayer was given, and as Muhammad went to put on one of his robes, he found his cat sleeping on one of the sleeves, and instead of disturbing the cat he cut off the sleeve and let him sleep.

Muslims apparently approve of cats, considering them clean and wholesome. Christians, at least in the Middle Ages, associated them with witches and the devil, partly because cats are never mentioned in the Bible.

Sundance must be descended from Muezza.. When I am in bed trying to read, she climbs up and lies down on top of my arm and expects me not to disturb her, even to turn a page. I suspect she thinks I should just cut off my arm and leave her alone.

No comments: