Sunday, September 7, 2008

Many moons ago ...

One of the back ways into Baraboo -- necessitated by the construction that has been going on all summer and complicated by the washout when Lake Delton decided to head south -- takes you along Moon Road. It is not heavily populated, just a few houses and a couple of working farms.

One of my favorite sights, though, is a birdhouse with See Rock City on its roof.

When I was twelve, as I recall, we took a trip to Georgia to see the relatives and so that I could see where I had been born. One stop on the trip was at Lookout Mountain and Rock City. It was terribly foggy, and I think Ted (and I?) actually got out and walked behind the camper at one point because Daddy was having to drive so slowly.

Anyway, I suspect the chilluns is too young to remember seeing Rock City signs on barn roofs and sides, but the birdhouse always cracks me up.

At the railway shop, by the way, we sell Burma Shave signs. Just the Burma Shave one, though, not a whole series with the funny poems. Sigh! Another sign of a youth gone by.

If they did sell a whole set, I would be tempted to buy them and place them alongside our driveway or along the road. Of course, we would not want to have them compete with the flamingos.

No comments: