Friday, September 12, 2008

Coffee, cats and books

Yesterday and today have been book sale days at the library. Yesterday I helped put books out for the sale, which is today and tomorrow. This morning Tom and I got there just as the doors opened, but we were certainly not the first ones. People were grabbing and stacking and bagging and generally carrying on like book freaks.

Unlike ME, of course!

Actually I only bought three this morning: Joseph Campbell's classic, The Hero with a Thousand Faces; a third edition of Gallenkamp's book on the Maya; and one volume of A History of Private Life, the first one on pagan Rome and Byzantium.

The books were three for a dollar, and I saw lots of other things of interest. But there is only so much room on my shelves, so I decided to stop with these titles.

Tom, on the other hand, got about twenty books, ranging from a collection of Zane Grey novels to a biography of Greg Louganis and a book on who wrote the Bible. Yesterday I saw a biography of the adtor Anthony Perkins that looked interesting, but it had disappeared already by the time I looked for it today.

Kathy, the head librarian, told me to be careful not to buy any of the books we had donated last spring. We must have given them four or five large boxes for the sale. I only saw one that looked familiar, but then I didn't look at every book there. This doesn't mean all our donations were bought in the sale last June. They get more books than they can put out, and as books are sold, other boxes are brought out of storage to fill in the gaps. That's why it is worth going to the sale both days.

We went by WalMart on the way home to shop for food for Chris's visit, and now we are waiting for him to arrive. It was supposed to be mostly sunny today, but so far it is cool and overcast. Not the best start to Wo-Zha-Wa. I hope it doesn't rain. The arts and crafts people and the antique dealers will have a lousy time of it if it does.

Despite the title, I have nothing much on the cats or coffee, really. I just liked that picture that I found online and wanted to use it.

No comments: