Sunday, September 28, 2008

Dodds and ends

Just a few bits of stuff ...

Thursday on the way back from Reedsburg, I saw a horned owl sitting on the side of the road. I have seen owls before around here, including in our back yard, but this was as close as I have been to one, I think. Very cool and big bird! Otherwise not much of interest happening on the bird and other critter scene.

On the flora scene, on the other hand, it sure seems to have turned autumn very fast. Leaves are turning and falling. Most of our wildflowers are gone, but we have a nice bunch of asters out front that help the sedum provide color. When we were taking down the tree in the back last weekend I discovered some sedum back there, too. I don't know if Helen planted it when she brought the plants out front or if it is a volunteer.

The R&GN had its annual members meeting yesterday. Although I am a member, I chose not to go with the full membership with voting rights, and so I don't have to attend meetings. (I attended enough meetings with the Carmelites to last me forever.) Tom, on the other hand, is a life member and had to go to part of it anyway. I agreed to handle the gift store alone so that Roberta and Mary could both go, but Matt came in to help a bit. It was a busy day, but not too much for one person to handle.

This weekend was the Wisconsin Dells City-wide Garage Sale, and Tom and I hit a few of the sales. There was some really good stuff -- including a six-piece living room suite that was only $45, comfortable and in great shape. Unfortunately we don't have any place to use such an item. Too bad it wasn't around when David and Reebecca were up here a couple of years ago, shopping the thrift stores for furniture for their apartment.

Tom hemmed and hawed over a home theater sound system for the living room and also over a small CD player for his office, but his inherent financial caution won out and he walked away. He told them he might be back, but I know him well enough to know that he won't.

I did buy one thing -- spent a quarter on a Hoberman sphere, a toy that looks like a sort of collapsible geodesic sphere. Open, it is a sphere; collapsed, it looks like a dead spider or some such thing. Mary calls it a stress ball, because it is suppose to relieve stress as you open and collapse it. I have to admit is is somewhat addictive. I tossed it around for the cats who sniffed and then snubbed it. Matt, on the other hand, thought it was pretty cool, so he may wind up with it when I have gotten rid of all my stress. Just hope he's in no hurry!

No comments: