Friday, September 26, 2008

Not that I know anything

I was telling Tom today that in the last couple of days I have actually heard people talk about wondering if they should take all their money out of the bank and hide it. Or about waking up in the middle of the night wondering what is happening to their IRA and 401K, and not being able to get back to sleep.

I suppose one advantage of having nothing much is you don't have to worry about losing it.

But I know when things begin to look so shaky, it is not funny for people with families to support . I suppose Tom and I could clear some more trees (well, Tom could) and we could plant some corn and beans and try to fight off the raccoons for it. The cats could just start eating those mice they keep leaving on the living room or dining room floors. And we could walk to WalMart instead of driving. That would even be good for my health, I bet!

Meanwhile, don't panic.

Or, if you must, remember what Emanuel Celler (once a New York congressman) said: "The panic of the Depression loosened my inhibitions against being different. I could be myself. "

So if you wind up with nothing left but yourself, enjoy being yourself. That's what the Good Lord sent you into the world with, and that's about all you're going to take out of it anyway.

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I'm concerned about my 401K. In about 12 months time, I've lost over half the value. And I'm bitter because I've put in money since I was 15. So this isn't a small chunk of change. It could be used as a down payment for a home. Well, not anymore!

One of our banks was WAMU so as soon as we heard the news of the buy out, Vince closed the account. The reason? Because he has a personal vendetta against Chase bank. He refuses to use them because they upset him like 20 years ago or something.

So here we are...with Wachovia...wondering if they are the next to crumble. Financial reports indicate its possible. They bought a specialized ARM mortgage lender right before the real estate markets crumbled.

We've debated buying a fireproof safe and going cash only from now on. Sounds primitive...but I don't want to fall victim to anything.

We've already discussed our "way out". My mom's parents have land, cows, a garden, a paid off home, 2 paid off cars, a creek with fresh water, and lots of lumber. It may be 3rd world...but we could totally live old settler style at their place.

The problem? Getting back to Texas without getting shanked when the world is so bad off.