Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Summer's end

I haven't seen the hummingbirds out front much this summer, although I have occasionally noted one among the wildflowers in back. The last few days, though, the front yard birds (or the backyard birds now in the front yard) have reappeared and are fighting over the feeder just like last year. It may be that the wildflowers are starting to dry up, which they seem to be, and that the birds have to go to the feeders now for their sugar fix. Whatever the reason, they're back and buzzing.

I am also noticing turkeys along Berry Road again. I know they have been out there, somewhere, but now I see some almost daily. A deer ran across the road as I was on my way to Reedsburg, fortunately a block away and easy to avoid. Again, maybe it is the seasonal change and the time of day. Or maybe it is the warmer weather.

The last few days have been quite warm, hovering around and even over 90. This is the warmest it has been all season. Kind of ironic, now that the tourists season is over and the waterparks -- which need hot sunny days to draw crowds -- are shutting down.

When I drove by the motels and resorts on my way to the railroad this morning, the lots were vastly empty. Quite a sudden change from the summer crowds. As long as the weather is decent, I imagine the weekends will still draw people, but school is back in session and the family vacations are over for now.

Thursday I start my library work again. It will be nice to get back in there. My summer schedule not only didn't allow me any time to volunteer, I hardly had time to go and get a book most weeks.

Tom worked as conductor today, and it was my turn to cook. I made white chili (chicken with white beans, for you Texans who would probably never allow such a thing to pass your lips.) It's not too bad, really. Add a few nachos and a bit of guacamole on the side, and you're all set.

I've seen the white chili recipe using rattlesnake meat instead of chicken, but I think that's just silly. And our local WalMart doesn't even carry Chinese mustard, much less rattlesnake meat.

No comments: