Friday, December 26, 2008

Guests, non-guests and girth

I was just saying yesterday that we hadn't seen the possum lately, and today two of them showed up. There they are, a few feet away from the bird feeder, digging down to find what they can. They were both there for a long time, and one stayed until after dark. Must be getting hungry out in that snow-covered woods.

Earlier this morning the pileated woodpecker was at the suet for a while.

We had expected Joe and Evelyn to drop by sometime today for a visit. Joe called the other day to set it up, and he said they would call when he knew what time they would arrive. We never got a call, and the weather may have interfered with those plans, too. It warmed up today, but the melting snow led to very dense and dangerous fog. We may get some rain overnight, and there are actually flash flood warnings out.

Meanwhile Tom was able to find a temporary poster frame for his autographed movie poster. That's it, leaning up against the bookcase on which all our Christmas and other holiday cards are displayed. I am not sure where he plans to hang it. You can't make out anything on this small a photo, but the grayish squiggle on Heath Ledger's collar is his signature. Sad to think that he died so young this past year.

I had my annual check-up with the doctor this morning. The brutal truth is that my height is shrinking but my girth is growing! So I have to start paying attention again to the healthy habits that I know I need to maintain. At least I was honest enough not to try to blame it on Christmas dinner and the holidays. He added a couple of new prescriptions, too, and I have to go back in a couple of months for blood work to see if they are working. I already dread going to pick stuff up at the pharmacy. I think my monthly prescription costs probably just doubled.

PS -- I went by Walmart this evening -- through the terrible fog -- and discovered to my relief that my prescription cost is not much greater, largely because he gave me 90-day refills that cost less than 30-day ones. That made enough difference to almost offset the new prescriptions.

No comments: