Friday, November 13, 2009

FYI

I just wanted to let you know that I no longer consider myself a member of the Roman Catholic Church. And, thanks but no thanks -- I am not looking for another group to join.

I have asked three different Carmelite provincials to begin the process to have me removed from the Order and priesthood, but no one seems to want to take formal steps in that direction. That is their decision. From my perspective, I am gone. But there is no big public action or statement about it.

On the other hand, here at the personal level and with you I want to close the Catholic chapter of my life, something that has essentially just been a remnant hanging around my neck for the past five years. The time has come to move on.

As I say, do not think this means that I am looking for a new church to join. I firmly believe that I do not want to be identified as a member of any religious group, just as I do not wish to be identified as a member of any political party.

That's it for now.

3 comments:

Joseph said...

Wow, my process was relatively smooth and painless. But, I'm sure it is much easier to be released from vows than from vows and ordination. But, doesn't your exclaustration eventually expire? Wouldn't they be forced to address the issue then, especially if you do not choose to return to the Order or renew exclaustration (if that's even a canonical option anymore)? Isn't the ball in their court? Anyway, no one tried to delay my departure or dissuade me otherwise. Of course, it could be that they loved you more than me and they don't want to let go. God's blessing be with you on this peculiar path.

Michael Dodd said...

Joseph,
Yes, it is a bit more complicated when orders are involved. And of course I had/have been around for thirty years!

Anyway, the ball is in their court. My frustrations -- which I am sure you can understand -- do not have to do with the Carmelites, who continue to be friendly. My understanding is that it is the Generalate that doesn't want to deal with it because the Vatican doesn't have a simple category for cases like mine. Phillip was told (and I assume John got the same message) that the Generalate has a pile of cases like this and there is simply nothing to do about them. So, if I am not creating legal problems, they just sit there.

Technically I am not even exclaustrated. At least, the last directory just listed me as "On Leave", which is not even a real canonical status.

Ted B said...

"Technically I am not even exclaustrated."

I suppose that since you have no plans for children, it matters not if you are exclaustrated or not.

There is a steer joke in here somewhere.