Sunday, November 1, 2009

Talking of money ...

I recently agreed to take a 15% cut in salary come January 1. This reflects the fiscal realities of a small non-profit. The bigger local picture can be seen in this post stolen from Tom's blog:
The economy is on the minds of our Delton Town Board right now, and rightly so.

The town faces a budget crunch, just like the rest of us.

The economy has hit the housing and construction industry hard in this area, as it has everywhere else, and our area has been hit by the "tourist recession" -- a drop in disposable dollars visitors to our area spend in the township. The town's bank accounts, just like yours and mine, are paying paltry interest these days.

As a result, the town expects a 36% drop in license and permit fees, a 66% drop in investment earnings, and a 28% drop in income from room taxes. Our town will, like everyone, have to make do with less.

The Town Board seems to be on top of the crunch, though, according to the morning paper. Salaries are going to be held static, the road improvements budget will be cut to the bone, and discretionary expenses will, in a word, not be spent.

Overall, if I read the numbers right, the town will be making do with about 11-12% less next year. I just hope the weather cooperates -- nothing blows a budget like a bad winter.
And I paid $2.759 per gallon for gas this morning ...

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I try not to think about it.

I spent $90,000 to get pregnant just in time for my salary to go from 6 figures to poverty level.

I carry an $1100 Gucci purse but had to apply for food stamps.

I am scared as I know millions of people are. Its horrible.

Luckily I got private insurance so I don't have to sit at the local clinics with the medicaid people.

Its awful. :-( Vince is begging people for $30,000 a year jobs.

I never thought I would live through "the depression"!