Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Oh, no! [With update]

I have had one of those days. Mixed days, that is.

It started off with an early dental appointment. I was reasonably sure I would need a new filling, but it turned out no filling and a very easy cleaning. Not even the usual strict lecture about flossing more regularly. I actually laughed at the hygienist in Chicago once and told her, "I think it's cute that you keep telling me this when you know I won't change."

Then I picked up stuff for a very nice meal for Tom and John when they get home from track work this evening. (For Peter, too, when he gets off from the bank, but he will be late.) I am baking chocolate-peanut-butter brownies as I speak.

And then I was heading off to the library to pick up a set of audiolectures on ancient Egypt ... when I realized it is closed for Veterans Day! Worse, I intended to go pick them up last night but decided there was no rush. At any rate, I go to the library for my volunteering tomorrow anyway and can get them then.

So it has not been a total bust of a day at all. But it would have been nice to have new CDs. I am re-listening to Karen Armstrong's talks on the history of Jerusalem for the umpteenth time.
-----------
UPDATE: The meal turned out pretty well, the candied yams especially. But then it was basically brown sugar, butter and pecans on top of the yams -- sort of a pecan pie with a yam crust. The brownies were VERY chunky and chewy. Okay, but not at all cake-like, which would have satisfied Tom and John better.

After dinner, we showed John the shirts and ties we bought to wear to the wedding we are going to this weekend in Iowa. I told him if Judi (his wife) asked him what we did in the evenings while he was here, he could say, "Well, Michael and Tom showed me their clothes..."

No comments: