Friday, October 17, 2014

Borger

Today my mother and I head to Borger, Texas to visit my brother and his family over the weekend.

Ted is Director of Public Works for the City of Borger, which is centrally located in the Texas Panhandle, 45 miles northeast of Amarillo. It has been more than a year since my mother and I have seen him, and it has been a difficult year for him. A little over a year ago, Ted was assaulted at work by a disgruntled employee and badly beaten. For the first twenty-four hours, we were not sure he would survive. Although he has been back at work for some time, it looks like he will never be fully recovered from the trauma. 

We will also see his wife and all three of their adult children, assorted spouses and partners and grandchildren. I will be meeting one niece's husband, his daughter from a previous marriage and their new baby boy. I will also meet the other niece's boyfriend, who will be coming with her and her son from the Dallas area. And I will see my nephew, his wife and their two girls who live near Amarillo. It will be quite the family reunion. We will be eating out for most meals, and I pity the waitstaff! We will be a party of 10 adults and 6 children -- the kids ranging in age from a few months to five years.

It is also quite a trip, Texas being as big as it is. Much you have heard about Texas is exaggeration, but the place itself is huge. It is about an eight-hour drive between my mother's home in Whitehouse and Ted's in Borger, almost 490 miles. We will get there late this afternoon and visit tonight and tomorrow. Sunday we will head back to Whitehouse, another eight hours on the road.

No comments: