Saturday, October 4, 2014

Rigorous honesty


This is true for individuals, groups, organizations, nations, states, churches, political parties, businesses ...

It may be more difficult for groups of people, however, because as a single member, I can blame others when the group falls short of its claims and still feel that I am doing my part. But perhaps it is part of my part to call the group to account or even to distance myself from the group if it refuses to at least move in the direction of its pretensions. This can be painful, but I have found it necessary at times.

And always realizing that none of us -- individually or as a group -- ever fully arrives at what we want to be, and that patience with self and others is part of what I want to be...

Progress, not perfection.

No comments: