Sunday, October 5, 2014

Thank you

World Teachers' Day, held annually on October 5th since 1994, commemorates teachers’ organizations worldwide. Its aim is to mobilize support for teachers and to ensure that the needs of future generations will continue to be met by teachers.

According to UNESCO, World Teachers' Day represents a significant token of the awareness, understanding and appreciation displayed for the vital contribution that teachers make to education and development.

My father was a teacher, as were an uncle and an aunt. My mother was a Sunday School teacher for years, and although I realize that may not fall under the purview of World Teachers' Day, nonetheless it matters to me. My brother also teaches at the college level, although that is not his main profession.

My work in the monastery focused on education and I was a guest lecturer in various places over the years. A friend asked me recently if I missed being in ministry. The first thing that came to mind was missing the frequent opportunity to teach. I do continue to tutor, of course, something I began in college, back when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

My Granny Miller was also a teacher. Probably where I get my love of reading and writing from.
I had two favorite teachers when I was in school...One was Mrs. Powell- my third grade teacher-who gave me so much special tutoring and attention when i came from a city school to a country school and was two GRADES behind the other children in my classroom. The other was Mr. Williams-my 10th grade history teacher- who finally made me understand how to love history.
Teachers really have to love what they do to make a child WANT to learn about the world around them the way they did!!

Ur-spo said...

I owe so much to teachers.
Why or why do we not venerate them and give them the credit they deserve!