Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Not Frühjahrsmüdigkeit!


 These days I am feeling like I have fall fever. Something like spring fever, which itself is, according to Wikipedia
a translation of the German term "Frühjahrsmüdigkeit" (lit. "Spring tiredness"), Spring Fever is the name for a temporary mood typically characterized by a state of low energy and weariness experienced by many people in springtime. It is not in the category of a diagnosed illness, but rather a phenomenon thought to be initiated by a change in the season.
Somewhere I read that what people have at this time of year might be called fall fatigue.

At any rate, my own case is exacerbated today because I was up late last night. I like listening to audio books before falling asleep. For a while I have dozed off to PG. Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories. But this week I have been listening (again) to Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. When I went to bed last night, I thought I was near the end and so I just kept listening. As it turned out, there was much more than I had anticipated. (I had gauged how much was left by noticing how many pages of text were left, since the version I have can switch back and forth between printed text and audio.) As a result, by the time Darcy and Elizabeth, Jane and Bingley, Lydia and Wickham, Lady Catherine and assorted other folk had completed their appointed rounds, it was well past one in the a.m. 

I was surprised but had nothing on the agenda for this morning and thought I would just sleep late.

Nonetheless I was too awake at seven to lie abed any longer. So I got up, tended the cats, and got about my business. Here it is early afternoon and I am sluggish ... but not inclined to nap. I did twenty minutes on the stationary bike, which energized me a bit, and had a cup of half caff.

With luck, that will keep me alert long enough to prepare dinner tonight.

And to find another audio book to put me to sleep.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

falling asleep to an audio book is one of life's greatest pleasures.