Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Lunar eclipse

We are supposed to have clear skies for the lunar eclipse tonight, but I don't know that I will see much of it. Although it comes at a good time -- starting about a quarter to eight and going to about ten -- it is supposed to be ten below outside by then. Maybe I'll just run out and take a peek. Since we live in the country, the night sky is pretty good here without lots of city lights to interfere.

I remember watching one from the observation platform in front of the church at Holy Hill back when I was prior there in the early 1990s. The property was closed to the public, it being night and all, but a few employees and neighbors still came up to join us on watch. I do recall that when it was over and everyone left, we realized there had been a total stranger among us that no one knew. He had climbed over the gates, watched in total silence and then took off. So much for our tight security!

Apparently we won't get another chance until 2010. Just hope the weather is warmer!

No comments: