Monday, February 4, 2008

Pogo in the snow

Tom went out for a hike along the river with Debbie Kinder this morning, something they try to do pretty regularly, weather permitting. Not long after he left it began to snow pretty steadily, but it lasted less than an hour and probably accumulated just about a couple of inches.

I stayed in and worked on an article that I have about two-thirds done. I read a bit in a book for Christians about Judaism and listened to a bit of the audio version of A Separate Peace by John Knowles. It's a coming-of-age novel, along the lines of Catcher in the Rye, and it was very popular when I was working at Bookland during college. It's probably more enjoyable to read it when you are eighteen or twenty.

Tom told me that a major winter storm may be coming Tuesday evening and into Wednesday, with snow accumulations of up to nine inches. Of course, my colonoscopy is Thursday. They are supposed to call on Wednesday to tell me when to come in, so if the weather is too bad, I suppose they will just reschedule. I looked at another weather report that was only predicting a 30% chance of snow showers, so I decided not to worry about it. I'd certainly rather get it over and done. As those of you old enough to have had to do this, the procedure is uncomfortable but not horrible. The preparation, on the other hand, is a bummer. I certainly don't want to go through all that and have them cancel out on me because of snow! I'm not sure I want to go through that two weeks in a row. At any rate, about 1:30 the winter storm watch for Tuesday and Wednesday was removed, so I guess that excitement is over.

Meanwhile a possum found its way to the base of the bird feeder after lunch and has been munching merrily away on the hulls and scattered seeds in the snow there. Ugly critters, even if Pogo was a favorite of mine once upon a time. I put Cassidy on the window ledge and tried to convince her that it was a big mouse, but she was unimpressed. When she asked to go out on the deck, I opened the door, she peeked out at the possum and came back in. Pogo, meanwhile, glanced over once and went back to eating. He's certainly not scared of any of our Thundercats.

No comments: