Monday, February 11, 2008

Taxing

Tom kindly and patiently did my income taxes for me tonight. Even though I made just a bit more money last year, a higher percentage of my income this year came from my teaching job where they do not do any withholding. So instead of getting a couple of hundred back, as I had hoped, I wind up owing the federal government $29.

The taxes were actually simpler this year. Last year I had to file federal income tax AND Illinois income tax AND Wisconsin income tax. This year I was a full time Wisconsin resident, so I only have to file income tax for one state and I get to use a simpler form for the federal taxes. Last year I owed both Illinois and Wisconsin a little money. This year I owe Wisconsin $47.

So altogether, I owe the various governments $76.

Sigh. Get out the checkbook.

No comments: