Monday, June 16, 2008

Communications bugs

Mama and I often have communication bugs. Especially when I send an e-card, it gives trouble at her end. The one I sent for Father's Day was typical. When she tried to link to it, it played the music but showed no card. Then today, for no apparent reason, after she sent an e-mail to someone else, there was the card I sent -- without music.

To top it off, she tried to call me to tell me, and when the phone rang, I picked it up and it sent her to the answering machine. So I got the message later...

So much for the information superhighway. Maybe it was like the regular superhighway has been around here for the last couple of days -- re-routed due to flooding.

And it's not just her. Steve Payne couldn't download the cards I sent him for the longest time, until he switched from an African server to Gmail.

I can get e-mail from Michelangelo on my Yahoo account, but he cannot receive anything I send him from that account. Whether I hit the Reply button or try to send one the regular way, it never arrives. And I don't get a Mailer Daemon message letting me know that there was a problem. So he can e-mail me at Yahoo or Hotmail, but I have to respond via Hotmail.

I use the Hotmail account for all my distance learning students and things related to that. Recently I sent messages to three new students, and I got a message back that delivery was being delayed in one case. It told me not to re-send the message -- but then I didn't get any confirmation that it had gone through. So I had to re-send it anyway, to be sure the student gets the information I was sending her.

On the other hand, it was a lovely day here near Lake Deltonbegone.

No comments: