Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Food in my food

I saw a Peanuts cartoon today that reminded me of Ted:
--------
Charlie Brown to Snoopy: Which do you want, a cookie with nuts in it or a cookie with raisins?

Snoopy: Neither. I don't like food in my food.
--------

Ted (I think) has never cared for foods mixed together. When Mrs. Sowell -- or Miz Sowell, as we said then -- took care of us, she used those plates with little ridged compartments, and we got used to food not leaking over into other food. In Ted's case, this led to a dislike even of casseroles, where the foods come pre-mixed-together.

When I was a freshman at Michigan State, I wrote a paper for English composition in which I discussed the issue of food flowing together, the juice from beans attacking the mashed potatoes and making them inedible. I learned later that the prof used that paper as an example in later classes because he was struck by the image.

Who knew that childhood experiences would have such an impact?

Oh, yeah. I guess that's what therapy is all about.

1 comment:

Cynthia Dodd said...

You are correct. Ted still does not care for casseroles or food "mixed" together. He would prefer divided plates if I would allow them. He also does not like nuts in fudge or desserts. He likes nuts but not mixed in another dish. I always thought he was a 55 year old kid!