Monday, June 9, 2008

For you Wikipedia fans

When I went to the Wikipedia article on Lake Delton earlier today, looking for a photo of the lake to use in my posts, I noticed that it already contained a paragraph describing the events of this afternoon.
Lake Delton drains into the Wisconsin River

On June 9, 2008, Lake Delton, the approximately 250-acre dammed artificial lake adjacent to the village, overflowed its banks washing away four homes and a portion of Old Newport Road (County Highway "A") while nearly emptying the lake basin into the Wisconsin River following several days of torrential rains. The overflow happened as local authorities ordered evacuations and sandbagging in a number of towns as rivers and lakes rose across the southern portion of the state. Overnight about 100 people had started sandbagging the dam which held, but the contents of the lake began to pour into the river about mid-morning when the highway embankment failed eventually opening a breach of several hundred feet.[4]

Wikipedia may contain errors, but some contributors are fast on their feet.

1 comment:

The Hermit said...

Michael, I just heard about the disaster today when I got home from work (about an hour ago). Are you guys ok, physically/emotionally? I know this must be quite a shock. The Lake is pretty much the whole reason your town exists.

I'm thinking of you guys.