Monday, June 9, 2008

Critters

I thought we could take a break from the weather and talk about wildlife for a few minutes.

Coming home from the railway on Saturday, just before the storm, I saw a red-tailed hawk swoop up from a ditch, clutching a snake that looked to be at least three feet long. Probably just a black snake or something, but it reminded me of the Mexican eagle perched on a cactus with the snake in its claws.

Yesterday I saw what I think were magpie ducks (pictured) out in a flooded field nearby, and a fawn flashed across the railway tracks when we were out to view the damage in the afternoon. A sadder sight was a deer that had been struck by a car, lying up against the curb in the Village of Lake Delton. It is not rare to see deer close to town, but I imagine the weather has disoriented them even more.

I suppose wildlife could include Katya Marlena, Elena Rane and Elliot Odin Sjaastad, but that wouldn't be nice.

No comments: