Monday, May 18, 2009

Birthday eve

For my birthday, Tom bought me some striped shirts and ordered two pairs of striped (engineer) overalls. These railroad-look overalls are a challenge to find. You almost always have to special order them. I got an e-mail that the overalls are out-of-stock, but they expect to be able to ship by the end of the month.

The ones I am getting are made by Dickies, and they are the same size as the denim ones I found last week at Savers. Those are very comfortable, and I hope the striped ones are, too. The overalls and the shirts are part of the "railroad look" for the museum shop. When (and if) they ever arrive, I will post a photo of me dressed for work, complete with an engineer's cap and a red bandanna.

BTW, Helen commented on how comfortable the denim ones looked and said she might get some herself. I pointed out that although they are comfortable, for people like me who are short and stout, overalls emphasize the short and stout. Oddly enough, for people like Tom who are tall and lanky, overalls seem to emphasize the tall and lanky. Wish there were someway to transfer that effect!

Tom grilled a pork roast for dinner and got the makings of strawberry shortcake because he is not making a cake for my birthday. Tomorrow night Peggy will join us for Italian food at R Place for a low-key celebration.

Thanks to all those who have sent greetings already. I was wished a happy birthday from Italy and Kenya as well as here in the States. How internationale!

3 comments:

shera10 said...

Italian food....

In US I saw everywhere pasta Alfredo, in Italy this pasta doesn't exist.

Michael Dodd said...

Cris,

The restaurant we are going to has all sorts of other things on the menu, and I suppose some sort of pasta Alfredo is there. The chef-owner makes a very nice lemon chicken that I usually get, but his lasagna is also tasty.

The trick at R Place is not to fill up before the main course arrives. There is a sort of bruschetta to start, followed by delicious minestrone, then salad. By the time the main course arrives (accompanied by pasta), it is easy to be full already!

Kristin said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!