Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Wet Wednesday

The weather was not as bad as had been predicted, but the whole day was overcast and damp, with rain and fog this evening. Our trip to Madison went well. The Odd Wisconsin exhibit was okay, perhaps not as odd as it might have been. This is the time of year for school trips, and the museum is across the street from the state capitol, so there were lots of shool-age kids in the museum and on the grounds of the capitol. As we were walking through the capitol building, we ran into some young people in Eastern European folk dress who were preparing for some sort of performance during the noon hour on the capitol steps.

Besides the museum, we went to Barnes & Noble and to two Savers Thrift Shops. Tom insists that I need more striped shirts -- that being what I normally wear at the railroad -- so I picked up four or five as well as some denim overalls.

On the way home, we stopped in Baraboo so Tom and Helen could pick out the beads for her birthday necklace. I won't tell you how long that took, but one of us almost reached Medicare age while they were at it.

Then we went to get pizza at Papa Murphy's. If you are not familiar with them, it is a chain where they make your pizza fresh when you order it, but you take it home and cook it yourself. Some friends had recommended it to me, and since we received a coupon book in the mail, I wanted to give it a try. We got a Delight Veggie and Delight Meat, and both were quite good despite being significantly lower in calories than regular pizza.

After dinner, I went to the library to pick up a couple of books that I had requested. One is on heresy and mysticism in sixteenth century Spain, research for my second mystery. One of the librarians commented that I read some strange books "I could never get through some of those," she told me. The other book is a collection of comic strips by Stephan Pastis, so that is more typical, I guess. I waited two months to get the the Pastis book, but only two days for the heresy book. Not much of a waiting list on that one!

Thunderstorm starting outside, so I will post this and unplug the computer!

Ciao, bellos!

No comments: