Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mouse hunt

Twice recently the cats have awakened me in the night by chasing a mouse around my bedroom and bathroom. I think they bring them in and let them loose to play with. The mice, being wiser than the cats apparently, manage to get into my room and lead the cats on a merry and noisy chase.

On both occasions, I have been forced to get up to investigate and found the mouse, in one case huddled in the corner of the bathroom behind the toilet and in the other huddled between the bedroom door and the slipper I use as a doorstop so the cats can get in and out. (First mistake on my part!)

Each time I showed the cats the mouse and they just stared at it. Finally I scooped the trembling rodent up in a handy container and tossed it back outside. The cats then spend the rest of the night trying to figure out what happened. They keep coming back to sniff around the door or the corner, pat the place where the mouse used to be and sometimes sit and watch, thinking it will fall back out of whatever wormhole into space that it disappeared into.

Cats!

1 comment:

Kristin said...

Asterix is a fan of the (what I call) week-long torture. Vince is new to the world of cats. I'll never forget the first time he watched her catch a fly...and then slowly tore it into pieces over a period of 24 hours. The entire time, it was still fighting for life...regardless of the fact it had half a face, no wings, and no legs by the time we finally put it out of its misery.

Vince was horrified by this and had no idea cats were so vicious.