Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Literary pursuits


I am chipping away at it, though. I am about a quarter of the way through editing and revising from the beginning. Things will slow down a bit when I get to the sections that are just sketched in at the moment. Still, I wanted to let you know I am working on it.

Today is one of the days that I am enjoying reading what I have written. Not every day is like that ...

The secret to writing according to Elmore Leonard: "I try to leave out the parts that people skip."

Or to go with the chipping away at stone metaphor, Michelangelo said, "Every block of stone has a statue inside it. It is the task of the sculptor to discover it."

Or as Mr. Myagi said in The Karate Kid about bonsai, you imagine what you want the finished tree to look like and then cut away everything that doesn't belong. 

Speaking of which, Lucy gave us a bonsai for Christmas. I trimmed it the other day, trying to keep in mind Mr. Myagi's advice. 

4 comments:

Daniel said...

Hang in there, Michael. I liked your mystery and the novella, which I found online.

Unknown said...

What's this one about again?

Michael Dodd said...

Damien, I think you and Daniel will both be surprised when I finish this one. If I finish it!

Sunny said...

IF?? I know I didn't just hear the "I" word about this book!!!
Do you want to see tears, Michael? Because you WILL if there's no finished product!!
Do you know what I have invested in this book?? How may hours I've spent looking forward to it's arriving in my post and being able to sit down for a weekend of enjoyable reading??

Wow........sorry. That came out of nowhere and even surprised me!! LOL ;-)

I AM looking forward to it tho, Michael.... For REALS!!