Sunday, February 23, 2014

Saturday Internationale in Madison


Yesterday we dropped in on the International Festival at Madison's Overture Center for the Arts. There was quite a mob there, mostly families with young children, and we didn't stay too long. They had food, crafts, dances and singing. There were exhibits for Madison's eight Sister Cities, too. I had a nice chat with the man representing Tepatitlán, Mexico and Tom talked to the guy for Freiburg, Germany.

We had planned to get something to eat at the festival, but the lines were long and nothing seemed worth the wait and then standing around a crowded room trying to eat while holding a paper plate. So we went to one of our spots down State Street, Parthenon Gyros, where we got a Greek gyro and French fries -- how international was that? Parthenon is run by a Greek family (although I am sure I heard one of the cooks speaking Spanish) and has been there since 1972. The have huge videos around the place showing Greek music videos or incredible scenery from the islands.

After that we went by the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art, where they had a couple of new exhibits. One on surrealism was particularly good.

Then back home and dinner with Rich and Peggy and a friend of theirs. We had turkey and duck -- but not turducken. Good food and a nice time.

I stated off the day feeling not too well and more than a little cranky. But it was good to get out and it helped my mood a lot. Feeling better this morning.

Although I just realized that, since no one (including the library) withheld any income tax in 2013, I am going to have to pay something to the state and nation instead of getting a partial refund. Oh, well. Life goes on. And look at the return I get on my investment: safe roads, protection from fire and crime, and on and on and on.

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Sounds like yall had a lovely time. I LOVE going to the international festivals and sampling different bits of cultures!!

Coincidentally, Saturday we went to the in-laws for my Birthday Dinner(today is my ACTUAL birthday) and she made goose. I was slightly queasy and had tummy problems the following day after too. Water fowl doesnt seem to agree with many peoples digestive systems.(I'm thinking because it's so heavy in natural oils, maybe?)
But like you- we all had a lovely time.