Friday, July 25, 2014

40 minutes

There is a report in the news today that the average American spends 40 minutes a day on Facebook. I don't do Facebook myself, which gives me an extra 40 minutes. I wonder where they went?

In the monastery, we spent one hour in the morning and another hour in the late afternoon in private meditation. This was in addition to the time spent at daily Mass and three or four other prayers services scattered throughout the day.

Mother Teresa of Calcutta was once told that the sisters had too much to do for her to ask them to pray for an hour every day. She replied something along the lines of, "If there is too much to do, we will have to pray for two hours a day."

Not sure if that story is true or how the sisters reacted when they heard it! I do know that part of my morning routine is twenty minutes to half an hour of meditation, and my days go better when I am faithful to that. I won't say I get more done, but I think at the end of the day, I am less done in.

No comments: