Sunday, July 13, 2014

Art Fairs On and Off the Square

Madison has an excellent art fair -- and I do mean art, much of it VERY pricey -- in the middle of the summer on Capitol Square. Over 400 exhibitors show off their wares, everything from fine jewelry to life-size sculptures and more. There is also a smaller show called the Art Fair Off the Square and that adds to the interest.

Tom and I had planned to go yesterday (Saturday) but I woke up with the beginning of a cold and the weather was threatening. So I took some cold meds and we stayed home. The meds made me feel better, but I did not want to risk going down there and getting caught in the rain and then having to face an hour's drive back home soaking wet. The delay worked and this morning I felt up to the adventure. Plus the rain storms that had gone through yesterday had moved on.


 And there's the Capitol overlooking it all


This lady is no doubt looking at the Capitol and thinking bad thoughts about our governor who is under investigation for involvement in illegal electioneering activities.
This piece -- head, shoulders, bust -- is actually much larger than life and designed to hang on a wall. Like many of the larger pieces, no price tag was in evidence. I guess it is one of those, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" things.



Colorful windmills


A number of exhibitors were also demonstrating their process.



The pig's head moves up and down. I didn't notice a motor, and it may just bob in the wind.


These figures are from the Art Fair Off the Square.
There were lots of humorous pieces at both fairs.

We didn't buy anything, although we saw some interesting stuff and tried on a bunch of steampunk hats. 

 I told Tom I had remembered things were expensive, but I had forgotten just how expensive they were. The hats were cool but heavy and ran two to three hundred dollars each.

1 comment:

Ur-spo said...

Ann Arbor used to have a very pricey art fair as well. But it was fun to peruse and see the sights.